"Nothing can add more power to your life than concentrating all your energies on a limited set of targets." Nido Qubein

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." Jim Rohn




Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Trip

My daughter and I are back from our vacation and fact finding mission to Costa Rica.  It was everything I hoped it would be.

I am convinced it is the place I want to live.  The year round temperature, the views, the Ticos, the fresh foods, the slower pace of life, much better cost of living, and the wonderful Expats that are there.

I found that I prefer living at the 3,000-3,500 feet above sea level.  The temperature stays right around 70 degrees year round.  I visited San Jose, Sarchi, Alajuela, San Ramon, Grecia, Escazu, Santiago De Puriscal, and Atenas.  We also went to the beach in Puntarenas on the Gulf of Nacoya and down the Sarapiqui River in the Rain Forest.  I was in about every level and atmosphere.  I can tell you 2,800 and under was too hot and humid for me.

I can absolutely recommend Margarita's Bed and Breakfast in Alajuela just on the outskirts of San Jose.  The property was beautiful, the rooms darling and very clean and up to date, and Margarita was the perfect hostess!  You will pay for a cab to go back into San Jose for any tours or sight seeing, but it is worth it to stay in such a magical location.  You can even see the Paos Volcano from her property.

George's tour could not have been better in any way.  When you are finished you have a world of information to help you make your decision as to where, when, or if you want to live in Costa Rica.  He took us to a furniture factory to show us what you can get for your money there instead of paying to ship your own.  We attended 2 parties where Expats came and talked to us about why they had chosen to move to CR and their experiences.  He took us to a hospital to teach us about the medical system in CR and about medical insurance.  We sat down with an attorney who taught us all about becoming a legal in CR and how to purchase property there.  He included all the pros and cons so we can make a very informed decision.  George took us to many different kinds of properties to get a base line on living in different towns, and purchasing as compared to renting.  It was invaluable and I cannot recommend his tour enough to everyone who is wanting to get information on CR.

In the end not only am I convinced it is the place for me, but my 28 year old daughter fell in love with it.  I think we may both be living there!

We met a wonderful American couple, Paul and Gloria Yeatman, that live just outside of San Ramon.  They are very active with a group of Americans that are giving back to the citizens of Costa Rica.  Sign up and follow their great blog.  http://retireforlessincostarica.com/2012/06/newsletter-may-june-2012/ 

In my next blog I will include some of the legal information shared with us by the attorney we met with.  I will also be giving you information on some of the side tours we went on.

Pura Vida is now my new sign off on all my letters and blog.  Everyone in CR says Pura Vida (pure life) instead of hello or good bye, and just as a passing greeting.  They are the happiest people on the earth!

Pura Vida.....