"Nothing can add more power to your life than concentrating all your energies on a limited set of targets." Nido Qubein

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." Jim Rohn




Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Question- Bring or Not to Bring Furniture

I've been debating, bring my furniture or not to bring my furniture.  I have antiques and paintings that I really love.  I've spent my adult life slowly finding my personal tastes and purchasing the things I love along the way.

When I visited Costa Rica this summer, George Lundquist, took us to Sarchi as part of his tour where the local craftsmen and furniture makers have sold their products for the past 100 years.  There are about 70 family owned workshops, or "talleres" with showrooms along the main road.  Many were in little shack like buildings, but with the most amazing and beautiful handmade hardwood furniture I've ever seen.  Most of the wood is plantation grown or sustainable tropical hardwoods like cenizaro, guanacaste, melina, and cedar.

These artisans make bedroom sets, dining room, sofas, chairs, dressers, entertainment units, desks, outdoor furniture, swings, baby furniture, and anything else you can imagine.  They can recreate a family heirloom or anything you can describe or sketch out for them.  You can usually get these custom made pieces for the same price as ready-made items.

Six seater dining tables ran anywhere from $300 to $700.  Compare that to $1,500 at regular furniture store here that was most likely made in China.

I saw new beautiful carved queen sized beds from $400 to $600 with matching bedside tables for an additional $150.  You could not touch it in the states for under $1,300.  Entertainment unit with the space for a TV at $400.

Since I have personally seen the furniture I know what amazing quality is available.  Plus remember, these are made with hardwoods.

I have options!  I'm thinking I need to find someone else moving at the same time that I could share a moving container with.  I still want to bring some of my things, but I do not need them all.  To bring a full container costs anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the size of the container.  I have some thinking to do!